Welcome to the ACES SoCal blog. We still have the website going with lots of old photos and updated information on events and meetings. But this blog is a place for active members friends of the club and people of interest to post current info and updates of their builds. Check it out.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

The Flathead's Dead Zed.



Well,
Pops and I got the heads off of the '36 pickup's flatty this afternoon and it wasn't pretty. 


Looks like it will need two cylinders sleeved and at the very least a serious honing, cam grind, and ring n bearing job. We don't have a bore mic, so it could easily need a clean up job and some over-sized pistons. 
All that being said, as long as it's not cracked, the block is worth saving for future use. I was really surprised at how relatively easy the heads came off the block. I'm sure you all might have a horror story about trying to get a set of these off.

So after this discovery, I think I am leaning towards using an early overhead cam Ford v8 260 I have in the garage now. Not sure I am quite ready to take on the financial spoonful required to run a mill of this condition in this project.





Above we have the heads, and it's pretty easy to point out the problem holes... 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment